Technologists wanted to drive technical excellence
Become more at Entelect, one of SA’s leading software engineering and solutions companies, voted the Best Company to Work For.
When you join Entelect, you’re not just joining a leading software development company, you become part of something bigger. You become part of a team of ambitious, confident, motivated and smart people, who will inspire you to go further, to do more than you thought possible.
You become part of a company that sees potential: potential in our clients, potential in our products and potential in you. Because we believe that if we give you everything you need to be successful, you will be. That you will become more and do great things.
Entelect Technical Lead
The Technical Lead role is one of the leadership roles at Entelect; you are expected to lead and drive technical direction, quality and delivery - not only within your project, but also across the entire company.
As a Technical Lead, you have seen several systems fail, succeed and evolve, and are a guru in some of the technologies you’ve encountered. You have enough experience that you can architect and structure a project, which would conform to the enterprise environment, whilst mentoring and guiding others. That means you can deal with scoping, expectation management, architecture, design, influencing decision-making at higher levels and some customer management. Your experience allows you to quickly pick up new frameworks and technologies, and to evaluate them effectively.
Your elevator pitch - what you’ll tell people you do
“I work with the best minds in the industry to solve complex business problems with software. I use my smarts to deliver the best solutions for my clients and my team so that we can deliver solutions with excellence and impact.”
What you’ll actually be doing
- Joining a company with more than 16 years’ experience in software craftsmanship; a company known for hiring, continuously growing, and retaining the best people in the industry.
- Working with teams with a common goal: to solve complex business problems, to drive excellence and to make an impact, while pushing yourself and others to become more.
- Using your knowledge and experience to develop world-class, high-quality web and mobile applications for some of the country’s leading organisations.
- Leading and driving technical decision-making within your team.
- Providing trusted advice for your team and your customer.
- Helping ensure that all of our peoples’ technical ability exceeds expectations.
- Driving technical discussions, best practices as well as improving the technical landscapes across your client’s project and the broader Entelect team.
How you’ll do this
- Utilising your wealth of experience across various projects that have succeeded, failed and everything in between.
- Leaning on your deep understanding of technology frameworks; when they should be used, which are beneficial and what their pitfalls are.
- Making use of your ability to gain buy-in and negotiate with others.
- Mentoring and guiding the people around you towards successful delivery and technical excellence.
- By understanding how the business and the technology can combine to add true value to your customer.
- By pushing the limits, asking questions and challenging preconceived notions of what’s possible. Because, at Entelect, we believe everything is possible.
- By being agile and planning properly, but being open and able to accommodate change when necessary. So you prioritise, you adjust and you get things done.
- By having access to everything you need to become the best at what you do: the facilities, resources and autonomy you need to become more.
What we’ve worked on lately
At Entelect, we’re working on more than 80 projects at any given time. Here are some to whet your appetite:
- Building loyalty platforms designed to drive consumer behaviour and help improve the health and wellness of South Africans.
- Designing and developing high-performance web applications that enable multinational organisations to track risks, including fraud and white collar crime, across the globe, in real time.
- Developing software for a surgical skill simulation portal that measures surgical skill proficiency; enabling trainee surgeons to practice, track and measure their skills remotely.
- Imagining, designing and implementing an Android app for an agricultural company to help agronomists and sales agents share valuable data in real time; optimising smart agriculture solutions in an industry that is highly susceptible to minor fluctuations in conditions.
- Helping one of South Africa’s largest vehicle fleet management companies accurately price project costs for hundreds of specialised vehicles, down to the cents per kilometre, to provide more competitive products to consumers.
- Developing reliable processes, visual dashboards and tracking tools to monitor the delivery of schoolbooks across South Africa.
- Learning and implementing complex tax and duty tracking tools that enable the world’s largest commodity traders to operate in multiple markets.
What your typical day could look like
You arrive at the office a bit earlier than normal to prepare for the Dojo that you will be hosting this afternoon. When the rest of the team arrives, you join them for the morning team coffee run, while discussing the social meet-up that’s happening tonight. You make a mental note to let your partner know that you’ll be out for dinner. That’s on us.
During the morning stand up, you identify a potential problem with the legacy system the team will be integrating with. You head over to that system’s lead architect and negotiate a simple solution that kicks ass. Awesome!
The next hour of your time is spent running code reviews with the new grads that joined your team. During these code reviews you identify that a more junior member of your team has a great understanding of design patterns, and make a mental note to get her involved in your next training initiative. It is great to see the potential in your team!
After team lunch, you whiteboard a debate with two different squads regarding the merit of implementing CQRS / Event Sourcing. You lead the discussions by highlighting the problems you experienced in the past. You leave the meeting excited that your tech leadership has guided the team down the right path.
The rest of your day you spend at your desk, headphones on, and knocking out that new feature you’ve been excited to tackle. You commit, pull and push, knowing that your feature is passing all tests just in time to go and present the Dojo.
After your Dojo, you reflect on a great days work; upskilling others at Entelect, providing technical guidance to your team and implementing that feature that people said would take days to finish. You stop by the bar for a beer with your colleagues and lead your LAN team to victory.
Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be too.
What we need from you
- A bachelor’s degree in IT or Sciences.
- Breadth and depth of technical knowledge in your given craft.
- Ablility to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences, enabling you to influence change within an enterprise environment.
- A passion for delivering well-crafted solutions, systems and services that make an impact for your client.
- Solid understanding of software engineering fundamentals.
- The ability to build, architect and design applications within an enterprise environment.
- A hunger to continually improve those around you through mentorship, guidance and awareness of what their strengths and weaknesses are.
- A desire to embrace a challenge and be driven by excellence.
- A friendly outlook.
What you’ll get from us
- Exposure to the best technologies and cool projects.
- Quarterly performance reviews to assist you in achieving your career goals, bi-annual performance-based salary increases, as well as an annual company performance-based bonus.
- Exposure to Entelect’s in-house continuous development programmes, offering training on everything from leadership to deep technical skills, to empower you to become more.
- Participation in our “1Up” rewards programme, where you’ll receive rewards for doing cool things, like attending training events, social functions or for doing a good job.
- Competitive package, including a variety of commission incentives and bonus structures.
Sound good? Send your CV to email@example.com
. Please note the following:
- Due to the sensitivity of the data and systems we work with, we will require candidates to undergo a Credit and Criminal check should you proceed to the offer stage.
- If you do not meet our minimum requirements, or hear from us within 7 working days, your application has been declined